Saturday, January 29, 2011

Sipping Through a Straw and All that Jazz

Well, maybe I invoked the wrong basketball team, what with the hype over BYU's last game. I mean, even I know some of the details.

So some of my friends and I walked into the Cannon center today for dinner. As my roommate and I stood in line to get some kind of chicken dish, I looked over and spied one of my future roommates sitting at a two person table across from a boy. I leaned down (my roommate is not even five foot) and asked her if she knew if our friend was on a date or not. She shrugged. The four of us in our group ended up sitting in the same section with only one table in between us and our friend who was possibly on a date.

Even though the four of us tried hard, we could not think of a good way to go up and ask if she was, in fact, on a date. So we tried waving our arms to get only her attention and not the boy's. Well, there was a table of boys in our way who thought that we might be waving to them. We indicated that we were not, so they tapped her arm. Which was not what we wanted as it got his attention, too. Somehow or another, we got the idea to hold up a ketchup-napkin sign that read, "DATE." Unfortunately, we forgot to consider the boys who sat in between us and our intended target. They had a pen and quickly answered, "Never." How rude. So we got some more ketchup and my friend wrote, "R U Sure?" They quickly scribbled a note and launched the balled up note to our table. "Do you like me?" It asked with boxes to check either yes or no. We wrote, "Depends, who's asking?" We then left, as we didn't want to respond to whatever they answered.

By this time, our friend (who had not been on a date and simply eating with a guy she didn't know) was finished eating. We decided we really weren't done and sat down to eat dessert. I got jello. I took one bite before Charly (one of my friends) said that it would be really fun to eat our jello through a straw. She then delegated two of the other girls (as we had now grown to six) to get more cups of jello while she got straws. We then proceeded to have a jello-slurping contest. I totally won.

2 comments:

Julie Ramsay said...

WEll Done! I'm so proud. College is sooo fun! xx

mindy said...

ketchup notes and jello through a straw---I'm so glad you are getting your money's worth from you education:) LOVE IT!!!