Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Joys of Driving

One of the things you look forward to when you're a little beehive is turning sixteen. That's the age that everything happens. You're in high school, you can date, and you get to drive. Well, last winter I finally made it. I turned sixteen. I don't really like high school and I don't go on dates. So I guess that leaves driving as my enjoyment as a sixteen year old. Unfortunately you can't just go down to the DMV and get it. You have to have a form saying that you attend school and aren't a truant. That takes forever to get. First, you have to go to the office and fill out said form. Then you put it in a little tray and wait. And wait. And wait. I turned one in before I turned 16 and got it back at the end of January. Unfortunately, it was signed before Christmas so it expired before I could go to the DMV. I turned another one in at the beginning of February. I got it back today, the beginning of March. I have until April to go and take the driving test. I hope that I don't fail.

Parallel parking is perhaps one of the most feared parts of the driving test. I learned how to do that today. It was one of the more obscure things I have ever done. I drove around, with my mom in the front seat of course, and parked behind cars that happened to be parked in the road. People stared. It was kind of weird to watch someone pull in and out from behind a car over and over. And then drive off as if nothing happened. We parallel parked behind every car in the neighborhood, several times. It was fun. I can now successfully parallel park. So watch out world, or at least West Virginia, 'cause here I come.

2 comments:

mindy said...

The funny thing is that I'm the one teaching her to parallel park. I only wish I knew how...

Nancy said...

Remind me not to be driving around West Virginia during April!!! HA! :)