Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Things I Should Be Able To Do

There are certain things that people just expect you to be able to do, like tell your left from your right, do basic arithmetic mentally, or navigate with a map. Well I can't do any of those things. It's not from lack of effort. I've tried a million mnemonic devices to try to tell which one is my left and which one is my right. But I still have to think about it. When I'm driving someone will say turn left and it's three seconds before it connects and I know which way to turn.

I also cannot do simple arithmetic in my head. I got a 97% on a geometry test once because I said that 6-1=4. Of course that was part of a much larger problem (I was determining what type of quadrilateral it was.) One would think that somewhere before I got to Trig I would have learned how to do that. I've gotten so that I can add most single digits, but when you start throwing in numbers over nine, I face a quandary of gigantic proportions. Usually I just get out my calculator (I love that thing!)

As for navigating, I've inherited all those skills (or lack of skills) directly from my mom. If you've ever been in a car with her, you know what I'm talking about. We get lost going to places we've been hundreds of times. Even if I have a map, I get lost. It's a curse. It's all my mom's fault.

2 comments:

mindy said...

hmmm, should I feel insulted by any of this? :)

Julie Ramsay said...

No...you know its true. We get it from our dad. I got lost once walking to the grocery store on 56th street once with dad. He wanted to go into the hood and we got so lost...